22 September 2018
I was last in Burma 32 years ago on a five day tour as that was all that was allowed those days.
I had fond memories of the one leg rowers and the naturalness of the scenery.
We stayed at a hotel of my sisters recommendation as it was perched on the lake with great views. The food at the hotel was the best we had (western style) in our whole journey.
I had a chance to try the wine from the local vineyard. Sauvignon Blanc(SB). Those people who know my drinking habits know I am not a fan of Sauvignon Blanc, but I do appreciate a good one. I am from Marlborough – the biggest SB wine exporter in NZ. Verdict….. drinkable and it tasted like a bland SB but without the cats pee and gooseberry. Glad I only ordered a glass, pass the beer please.
I read comments online that Inle lake is too touristy, and the tours are spent going to various shops. A bit like I have experienced in China. However the difference is that it was among the peoples natural surroundings and there was no hard sales or pushyness. This presented me with more photo opportunities than the enclosed fluorescent lit rooms with a security guard on the outside!
The leg rowers were a challenge though. Most photos of them are posed at sunset and their body positions do not represent normal fishing practices. They do this for a donation which we didn’t mind helping them. I also tried to capture them doing their everyday thing and also record the natural activities on the lake. They even grow tomatoes on the lake-pass the ketchup.
Apparently they are in the process of building another 60 (!) hotels around the lake.
So get there before it even gets more commercialised, but hopefully not more polluted !
1. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso400 200mm f9.0 1/1000sec Nikon 70-200f4
2. 26 April 2018 Nikon D3s iso200 24mm f11 1/180sec Nikon 24-700mm f2.8
3. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso1000 200mm f6.3 1/500sec
4. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso 900 200mm f8.0 1/1000sec
5. 26 April 2018 Nikon D3s iso 1600 38mm f4.8 1/125sec
6. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso200 300mm f5.6 1/1000sec Nikon 300mmmf4 PF
7. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso400 72mm f7.1 1/1000sec
8. 26 April 2018 Nikon D750 iso450 200mm f8 1/1000sec
9. 26 April 2018 Nikon D3s iso200 28mm f8.0 1/1000sec
10. Nikon D3s iso200 52mm f8.0 1/1000sec
11. Nikon D750 iso360 110mm f8.0 1/1000sec
12. Nikon D750 iso1000 95mm f7.1 1/1000sec
13. Nikon D3s iso200 55mm f9.5 1/180sec